Thursday, December 13, 2012

Handmade Christmas 2012

I love pretty wrapping.
(I even have an entire Pinterest board dedicated
to pretty and clever gift wrap.)
I like to think of the wrapping as an extension of the gift I'm giving.
Of course, I do my share of shoving a present into a gift bag
and topping it with a wad of tissue paper,
but it sure would be nice to make every gift I give a work of art!

This year I was delighted to have a little extra time
to put a little extra care into my gifts.
(I should have realized ahead of time, though,
that sitting on the floor wrapping presents for a couple of hours 
is not so smart when you're 36 weeks pregnant.
I was hearing from my back for days afterward.)

For the kids' gifts
I chose a mix of  bright paper I bought on clearance a few years ago
and kraft paper I bought this year
after realizing just how much I'm loving
the brown-paper-package thing.
I labeled them with initials cut from scrapbook paper,
and finished the packages with curly ribbon.
(I don't think I will ever outgrow curly ribbon!)

Mum's package was the most labor-intensive,
and is also probably my favorite.
I actually used hot glue for the flowers
which is a minor miracle.
(I still hate hot glue, but nothing else was working, so I caved.)

The guys' (Benjamin and my dad) packages 
were a little simpler.
I seriously considered
re-cutting the B to fit inside of the green oval,
but decided it wasn't worth it.
Hey, some artsy battles are not worth fighting with yourself.

Benjamin teases me
"This is keeping it simple?"
What can I say?
The prettiness makes me so happy!

5 comments:

Emily said...

They are beautiful! They make me happy too, just looking at them. And I also love the brown paper packages tied up with curly ribbon... not quite a direct "Favorite Things" quote, but close. Your mom's is so pretty!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

The prettiness makes me so happy to! These are beautiful, Christina!!

Joy said...

After admiring these beautiful packages, I hope you never see one of my "wrap jobs." :)

Raise Them Up said...

Hey girlfriend! How did I NOT know you were expecting again! Lol! Congratulations and Best wishes!!!! Time scoots by way too quickly (unless you are 39 weeks pregnant, that is! Lol!) May this little one come just exactly when God wants him or her to.
Your packages are beautiful, btw. I love your creative heart!

May you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

Debi said...

Beautiful!