Thursday, December 1, 2011

handmade Christmas 2011

As you may recall from last year, I really enjoy making hand made gifts for my family. I don't go quite so far that all of the gifts are handmade (for example, crayons are pretty hard to manufacture at home...), but I do like for everybody to have a handmade gift or two.

This year I began my Christmas craftiness with gifts for my three-year-old niece. A few months ago, her mom saw a tutorial for little ruffle backpacks, loved the idea, and sent it to me (I'm the only sister-in-law who sews), so my choice for her gift was easy. I deviated from the tutorial, but the idea is basically the same.

My little niece loves pink, so I went all out, using three different shades. I like how it turned out even though the effect is rather riotous.

Inspired by a Pinterest find, my second gift to her is a store bought turtle neck embellished with my own pink and green ribbon Christmas tree applique. This was my first applique onto knit fabric. I was delighted with the result and am sure I will be doing more of it!

I'm eagerly looking forward to packaging these up and sending them to bring Christmas cheer!

3 comments:

Tammie said...

sweet gifts.

Katie said...

Cute gifts! The ruffle backpack is so fun. I can just picture those ruffle bouncing up and down while the little girl runs around. Positive crafting vibes back at you! Thanks :).

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Too cute!! The little girl in my would love to have a backpack just like that. Love, love, love it!