Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Father's Day Gifts

This year for Father's Day, I wanted to make home made gifts for my husband, father, and father-in-law. The only problem was that I wasn't having any ideas. Finally, after a long, complicated train of thoughts late-ish one night as I was trying to sleep (that's my best project problem solving time!) I came up with a good idea that I used for all three gifts: hand print wall hangings.

Each wall hanging is a bit different. This is my husband's. I traced our boys' hands, onto paper, cut them out, traced them onto muslin, and embroidered the lines in different colors. I love how it turned out.

I'm especially pleased with how the initials turned out. All those tiny stitches and curved lines were a bit of a challenge.

For my dad's and father-in-law's gifts, I didn't have time to hand embroider the hand prints, so I cut out fabric and machine appliquéd the hand prints onto the base fabric. The one above is my dad's. I stacked the boys' hand prints and a heart on top of each other which made for a nice, compact layout.

This one is for my father-in-law. My awesome sister-in-law got my niece's hand-tracing in the mail for me even though she was unwell so that I could include all the grandchildren's hand prints for our father-in-law.

I am so pleased with how these turned out. Little Man likes them too, declares that they are "cute!" and would love to be allowed to play with them. After all, his hand print is included, right?

2 comments:

Shelly said...

How cute! I walk around Hobby Lobby & want to be so creative but nothing ever comes to me.

schullerfamily said...

such special gifts - those little hands :) You're very thoughtful!