Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Recipe Reviews

I tried two new recipes last week. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos for the first one and only a somewhat unsatisfactory photo for the second. Not to worry, though, if you click on the link, you'll find excellent photos on which to feast your eyes.

The recipe: I purchased the lemon for Creamy Lemon Crumb Squares quite a while ago, and last Friday was finally the perfect time to make it. We shared these delightful treats with my parents who had asked us over for dinner.

The mods: Benjamin isn't wild about the bitterness imparted by copious amounts of lemon zest, so I reduced the amount of zest to about 3/4 of a lemon's worth.

My impression: These cookies are wonderful! They are a perfect balance of crumbly and soft while still holding together beautifully, and the lemony richness is sweet but not cloying. Plus they are quite easy to mix up. Even Benjamin (who in general doesn't care for bar cookies or things with lemon zest in them) pronounced them tasty, and those of us who like lemon and bar cookies were thrilled.

The recipe: The other recipe I tried recently was Chocolate Cobbler. I made it to share with our home group friends last week, and there wasn't even a teeny tiny little bit left afterward!

The mods: I used 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder in the battery section because, well, 4 tablespoons are easier to measure than 3 tablespoons. Plus you can't go wrong by adding a little more chocolate. In addition, I used dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar and served it with whipped cream instead of ice cream.

My impression: This recipe was so quick and easy and so delicious that I'm sure it will be one I come back to again and again. The balance of sweetness and chocolatiness was perfect, and the addition of whipped cream just made it better. I got nothing but rave reviews from everyone who tried it.

The only comment I have about it is that the estimated 10 servings might make the servings just a little skimpy unless you are serving to a crowd with small appetites. Of course, the addition of ice cream would have made it stretch further, so perhaps I can't complain after all. : )

3 comments:

Tammie said...

i'll have to try the chocolate cobbler sometime.

and since my dad loves lemon, maybe i'll keep that recipe in mind also.

ben said...

The cobbler was beyond good. =D love you

SarahZ said...

"chocolatiness"...is that a word? If it is, it sure looks spelled correctly!!! :)
Love it all..and happy 9 mos to Brother!