Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cinnamon Banana Bread

This is my favorite banana bread recipe.  My husband loves it.  And even people who normally don’t like banana bread have eaten it and said they enjoyed it.   My mom gave me the recipe, and I’ve “tweaked” it here and there.  The final result (for now, at least) is what I’m sharing with you.


Cinnamon Banana Bread

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Mash very well in a large bowl (I use a potato masher; it works great!):

Three ripe bananas (It should come to about 1 ¾-2  cups of mush.  If you only have two ripe bananas, add enough applesauce to make up the difference).

Add to the bananas and mix well:

¼ cup vegetable oil

2/3 cup sugar

Combine and add to the wet mixture:

1 ¾ cup flour (if you live at a high altitude like I do, add another ¼ cup)

¾ teaspoon baking soda

1 ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

½ teaspoon of salt

1-1   ½ teaspoons of cinnamon (depending on how cinnamon-y you like things)

Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until you have a fairly thick lumpy yet well combined mixture.  Put the batter in an ungreased loaf pan or in paper lined muffin tins.  For a loaf, bake from 45 minutes to an hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  For muffins, bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

I like to buy the discounted ripe bananas and make a double or triple batch.  I freeze the extras or give them away.

My husband likes banana bread with cream cheese.  My mom loves hers with lots of butter.  I prefer eating thick slices plain with a cup of tea.  Little Man likes banana bread in any way he can get his hands on it.

3 comments:

Raise Them Up said...

Cool! I happen to have 5 very, VERY ripe bananas sitting on my counter. :)

stitching under oaks said...

I love my banana bread with cream cheese...slathered on thick! This sounds yummy!

kristena marie said...

I LOVE banana bread! Thanks for sharing your favorite recipe. I might have to give it a try.

I can't wait to see the shirts you're making (or have made). I just finished the blue shirt, and I am wiped out. But I might try my hand at jean-altering next....