Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Answer to My Election Worries

There is such an election hullabaloo going on as the date where we all flock out to cast our votes gets nearer and nearer. Candidates try to assure the public of their honesty, convince the voters that they have the answer to all our country's ailments, and attempt to make us believe that our confidence should be in them. The media presents arguements for and against various candidates. The descision is futher clouded and make difficult by e-mail forwards of conflicting and somewhat doubtful information, the impassioned debates of friends and aquaintences, and our own ideas and ideals.

Neither of the primary options for that we have for presidents are ideal. It's easy to be fearful of the future. I find myself struggling with fear over who will be elected, over what will happen in my Little Man's lifetimes, over the possibility of economic instability like I've never known, over the grievous wickedness of our nation.

In our family Bible reading in Isaiah, I found the answer to my anxieties and fears about the future. God says:

I, even I, am He who comforts you
Who are you that you are afraid of man who dies
And of the son of man who is made like grass,
That you have forgotten the LORD your Maker,
Who stretched out the heavens
And laid the foundations of the earth,
That you fear continually all day long because of the fury of the oppressor,
As he makes ready to destroy?
But where is the fury of the oppressor?
The exile will soon be set free, and will not die in the dungeon,
nor will his bread be lacking.
For I am the LORD your God,
who stirs up the sea and its waves roar
(the LORD of hosts is His name).
Isaiah 51:12-15


There is my answer. The one true God, the almighty, the all-knowing, the awsome, is my God, and He wants to comfort me. He doesn't want me to fear any of His created beings, no matter how fearsome the might seem to me because He is in control. Even if really awful things happen to me, I can still rejoice in knowing that He knows what He is doing and that He will give me an incomprehensibally great reward some day the will make any afflictions that I endure here on earth seem negligible.

There is even more comfort earlier in the chapter. God grafically describes the enduring nature of His righteousness and salvation and the futil fragility of those who do wrong:

Lift up your eyes to the sky,
Then look to the earth beneath;
For the sky will vanish like smoke,
And the earth will wear out like a garment
And its inhabitants will die in like manner;
But My salvation will be forever,
And My righteousness will not wane.
Listen to Me, you who know righteousness,
A people in whose heart is My law;
Do not fear the reproach of man,
Nor be dismayed at their revilings.
For the moth will eat them like a garment,
And the grub will eat them like wool
But My righteousness will be forever,
And My salvation to all generations.
Isaiah 51:6-8


Oh, what liberating truth this is! May God enable me to embrace it, and live in it, and reap the benefits of the freedom it gives.