Monday, October 27, 2008

Telling the Truth about Myself to Myself

Today was not an impressive day. I have felt strangly "blah" all day, not really unwell, but for sure not up to par. I did not check off a long list of little tasks, complete beautiful projects, or organize piles of disorder. To be honest, today is not the kind of day I love to blog about.

I have this problem of telling myself lies about days like this. I want to make myself believe that my worth is tied up to visible evidence of tasks checked off or projects finished. I feel like I'm not good enough and that I've done nothing all day. I have had to come to the realization that thinking this way is sin, it is living in a lie, when God wants to set me free with his truth! Oh, glorious, librating thought!

So here's a good dose of truth for me. Maybe my dose of truth will help you too.

~God has bought me; He values and loves me infinitely no matter what I get done (or don't).
~My husband loves me too (and said nice things about dinner). ; )
~Sharing giggles and play time with Little Man is important and valuable!
~Changing diapers and dressing and feeding him is too.
~I did get things done (a load of laundry, some dishes, my quiet time with God, some book reading).
~So, no, I didn't get the bathroom painted, and the living room is a bit messy, but they will be taken care of in good time. I do not need to feel guilty over things that God has no where said are even important and that aren't sin.

God wants me to take joy in little things, in my husband and son, in each day He gives me; and today was a day of little things. I am thankful for His many good gifts to me and for giving me slow days sometimes. If I'm in tune with His Spirit (as I'm seeking to be), He'll help me know what is important and when I can get it done.

3 comments:

Spaceofgrace said...

Oh honey, your post DEFINITELY helped me too. I just posted about how I struggle on my bible babies blog. Funny eh? How we moms think we need to do so much, when God has tied our worth up in Him... and that of our children too! Thanks for this encouragement my friend!

Spaceofgrace said...

By the way, I love your blog... very encouraging. And so I'm passing on a blog award to you! Find it on my Homemakers Library post today! :)

Kate said...

Great points. It is so easy for us mom's to tie our worth up in what we manage to get crossed off of a to-do list and not see the eternal perspective. So much of what we do is intangible to us, but invaluable in the eyes of God. Thank you for the encouraging reminder.