Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Successful Idea

We don't have a bed frame. There are several reasons. One, we have a very thick pillow top mattress as well as box springs, so our bed is plenty high for short people like me to climb into or for little babies to accidentally fall off of. Another reason is that if the mattress is on the floor, no dust accumulates underneath is (hooray for less cleaning!). The third reason is that we just never got around to getting a bed frame, and since the bed works marvelously the way it is we probably won't get around to it for a while. ; )

However, I did get tired of the white box spring always peeking out underneath the quilt. So, I decided to make a bed skirt to cover it up. I bought some lovely red fabric that coordinated beautifully with the red accent wall in my fall colored bedroom. Then my idea evolved to making an elastic-edged band (sort of like part of a fitted sheet, only with elastic on both edges). The result is pictured above.

I'm very pleased with how it turned out and even imagined that my bed felt a little different when I got into it last night because it was more attractively dressed. The only problem, in fact, was that as I was sewing happily, I realized that I could have simply gotten an extra fitted sheet, put it onto the box spring, and saved myself a bit of work. I'll keep that in mind in case I ever change my room colors...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: